25 Days of Christmas – Day 10

#10
This year I decided very last minute recently that I would make a new tree skirt.  So I stood in my kitchen with my glue gun, old tree skirt, and fabric in hand and got to work.  4 hours later and a bazillion glue sticks used I have a magnificent tree skirt!!!  I love how it turned out.  And yes, you can make it too!  It’s no sew so it’s super simple.  Some of the fabric I had on hand (the white flannel, and red & white polka dot) the turquoise felt, and red & white floral I bought at Hobby Lobby.

Here’s What You Will Need:
*  Old tree skirt
 (or trace one onto a piece of large felt and cut your own new one out)
*  Fabric cut into 2 1/2″ wide strips – cut the length to be the longest you can get out of your cut of fabric
(I used about close to 3 yards if not just a bit more, so prepare to have a bit extra to be safe)
*  Glue gun
*  LOT’S of glue sticks!!!
*  Ribbon to coordinate if you want new ties on your skirt
Okay, ready?  Set!  Go!
Start with your ugly tree skirt!
Cut your fabric, choose as many prints and solids as you like or keep it all one color or just two.
Start on the very bottom at the edge of the opening that ties together.  You’ll want to overlap the edge of the bottom just a bit so you won’t be able to see the old skirt.  With your glue gun just start gluing small sections as you go creating ruffles and gluing them down.  It really couldn’t be any easier!  And yes I left my fabric all unfinished, but you could sew finished edges if you really wanted to.
I’m not too worried about the fraying.  I kind of like it.

Now just continue to keep layering your fabric while creating ruffles and gluing them down.  When you get to the end just trim excess fabric off.  If your fabric strips aren’t long enough to go the whole distance of the skirt just match your next strip of fabric up to where your previous strip ended and glue down.  I had to do this a lot on my red & white floral.  You can’t even tell.  Note:  If you do choose to used felt to create a layer of ruffles (which I won’t again) glue does create spots through the felt, other fabrics would have been better choices.
Cut off existing ties if they don’t match the new colors and just hot glue some new pieces of ribbon in place of the existing ones.  I cut mine to be the same length as the previous ties.
When your tree skirt is complete….it should look something like this gorgeous creation!

This one is so cheerful it makes me giddy!  I’m so pleased with it, and glad I chose to try it.  I will definitely make another one next year to match that color scheme.

Comments

visiting from lolly jane :) I love your new tree skirt! Very beautiful.. and fun too! Makes me want to try one.. hmm.

I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party going on now.. oh and dont forget to enter my TinyPrints giveaway too!

This is so gorgeous! I have been wanting to make a ruffled tree skirt, too, but haven’t decided what colors I want to use. This looks fabulous!!! :) Thanks so much for sharing at Homemaker in Heels! I just featured this on my FB, so feel free to grab a “featured” button! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

I’ve been wondering how people made these without sewing.:) I LOVE that color combination. The skirt itself is a huge improvement from the original.;)

I picked up my fabric tonight! Turned out to be a bit more expensive than I thought.. maybe I just picked expensive cotton? I dunno hahah.. BUT I can’t wait to put it under the tree!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this tree skirt! I am also doing a 25 days of christmas series on my blog, but since I don’t have time for 25 projects of my own, I’m asking other bloggers to guest post. I was wondering if you’d like to share your tree shirt tutorial with my readers? My blog is embracingmessy.blogspot.com if you’d like to check it out. You can email me at embracingmessy@gmail.com for more info.

Thanks!

Kelsey
    embracingmessy.blogspot.com

6. Anonymous says

I think it would be lighter weight and washable (on delicate) if you used an iron and iron on tape..like for hems etc. There is a heavy duty tape that is fantastic.
    Also, instead of having to cut your fabrics, you could purchase a color blend of fabrics pre-cut to 2.5″ wide in a fabric *Jelly Roll* from a quilt shop or on ebay. (cheaper on ebay) Then, just pull and apply a strip or separate the sections to use the colors blends you like.
    Just a suggestion for making it easier, less glue mess and washable. LOVE RUFFLES so much, I got a ruffle foot recently for my sewing machine and now ruffle the world with it and the old fashioned way!!
    Q.

wow this is spectacular. Love the colour choice and love how easy it is to make. I don’t have an ugly tree skirt but I will find some felt and try and make one. Thanks for sharing your creation. We love you for doing this.

hello. thanks for the fun idea!
    what size was your original tree skirt you used? And with that, how many yards of fabric total did you use for this (including patterned as well as the felt)? If you remember. I wasn’t sure if the 3 yds was for the entire thing?
    Thank you!
    mistielscott@yahoo.com

Elisabeth – Thank you. I honestly don’t know how wide it is, but it was just a typical tree skirt that I found at Walmart several years ago. If it helps my tree is only 38″ in diameter on the bottom, so I’d say the skirt is about 40″.

10. Anonymous says

I love this, going to try this weekend, but could you tell me did you use a total of 3 yards of fabric or 3 yards per design. Thanks so much

11. Anonymous says

Absolutely LOVE this! Couldn’t put up the big tree this yr. due to 2 frisky kittens, but will be next yr. Have an ugly ol’ tree skirt and a bunch of Christmas themed material I could use for this project! I don’t have a sewing machine, but have plenty of glue guns, so the no sew works out great for me. So glad I found this!! :o)