Ninja Birthday Party

Ninja Birthday PartyFor my son’s 8th birthday, we celebrated with a Ninja Birthday Party theme.  He has been doing karate for about a year now and is loving it.  The theme was a huge hit and so easy to pull off on a budget.  With a little thought, I think I came up with some great ideas that anyone can make to help throw a great party.

To start, I made a simple printable invitation.  I purchased the graphics from this shop HERE, and created my own invitation in photoshop.  If you don’t have photoshop you can use picmonkey.com.  I printed all my decorations and invitations on matte photo paper, it’s the only paper I print on at home for these types of things.  The quality is so much better if you do.

Ninja Birthday PartyI created a food station on a large wall on our back patio.  For the backdrop, I used black curtains and red fabric.  I like to keep a pvc pipe to hang backdrops on, you can create a pvc pipe stand easily if you want to go that route.

I printed a Chinese inspired banner using the font found HERE.  I used scissors to cut it out, leaving a small white border while cutting.

I hot glued each letter for the banner on some black ribbon so it would hang vertically.  The black stripes that are running across the top of this photo below are black streamers we had strung between the wood posts on our patio.

Ninja Birthday Party
We usually do food at our parties, let’s face it we like to eat.  We keep things simple and kid friendly.

I made these Sushi Crisp’s out of rice crispy treats, a green fruit roll up (harder to find that you’d think) and a Swedish fish.  The kids ate them all.

We also included foods like Asian inspired trail mix that can be found at any grocery store, fortune cookies, and any other kid friendly food you can think of that coordinates.

Ninja Birthday Party - thecraftedsparrow.comI also made two types of cold Asian noodle dishes.  I did a Sesame Noodle, and Thai Peanut noodles…super simple and quite tasty.

Ninja Birthday Party
Ninja Birthday PartyI also served up individual portioned veggie cups with ranch in the bottom, these are perfect for the kiddos.

Ninja Birthday Party
Ninja Birthday Party
I made the cupcake toppers with images I found through a quick search online.  I added the images to some quick backgrounds in picmonkey.com and then printed.  Using my round circle punch to cut them.  I typically hot glue toothpicks or sucker sticks to the backs.

Ninja Birthday Party
Ninja Birthday PartyFor the other decor, I ordered large black lanterns from amazon, the small white ones I found at Goodwill for a couple bucks.  The red Chinese style lanterns I made from poster board.  They are super easy to make, you can go HERE for a tutorial.

Ninja Birthday Party
I made some ninja swords out of paint sticks after the ones I originally ordered from amazon showed up and were all cheap and flimsy.  The hubby thought of this last minute idea, I’m so proud of him for coming up with it.  All it took was some free paint sticks from a home improvement store, a can of gray primer paint, silver & black spray paint.  Some ribbon and a hot glue gun and we were good to go! The kids loved them.

Ninja Birthday PartyThe kids each got to take a “take out” box home with them.  Each box had a fortune cookie, small ninja guy, and a little gadget to help them all use chopsticks at home.  I made the labels for the front of the box, they say “Thank You” in Chinese characters.

Ninja Birthday PartyI also made these necklaces for each child to take home as part of their favors.  You can find these Asian inspired charms at most craft stores.  I strung them on cord necklaces I made myself.

Ninja Birthday PartyWe had to have a pinata, it’s just a must at our house.  I made this easy dragon pinata out of a cardboard box, fringed tissue paper that I glued on, and a dragon printable I found online and colored myself.  Filled it with candy and attached the hanger.

Ninja Birthday PartyI also love making the boys custom shirts for their special days, these shirts were found for $1 at Dollar Tree and with a freezer paper stencil I was able to customize them.  It says “Warrior” in Chinese characters.

The party was a huge success and while I didn’t get every detail perfect my guy had an amazing time, that’s all that matters to me.

Ninja Birthday Party
Ninja Birthday Party

Comments

Wow! What an amazing party! Great job mama! I love the Chinese characters on everything! And the Chinese take out boxes for their goodie bags – perfect! I loved every detail! I just had my son’s 8th birthday party too! I didn’t realize our boys were so close in age! :) Happy Birthday Corbyn! :) xo, Reannah

What a great party! My son is also having a Ninja Party. I was just wondering how you made the backdrop? I am doing mine outdoors and was not sure how to go about doing it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! btw, what font did you use for it?

Loved your party post! My son is also having a ninja party on Saturday and your ideas are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing! I will tell everyone about your blog!
    To Ginger: for our party, I am going to use my red Christmas tablecloth and hang it over a curtain rod for our backdrop. I love Rebecca’s backdrop, though! Her whole party is spectacular!

First of all your party was great. I love all the details and I think you did a wonderful job. Second of all when I read your intro it tugged at my heart strings because I am exactly the same way. I love to be crafty and make everything for my kids parties, but ever since I started a blog I put a lot of pressure on myself to make everything perfect and often loose sight of what’s most important. I also procrastinate and put everything off until much too late which puts more pressure on me and my family. It’s a vicious cycle. But I love it and from your party it looks like you love what your doing too. Keep on creating lovely memories for you kiddos.

5. Laura says

Hi Rebecca, I ran across you blog while searching for “Ninja party” ideas. Such fun ideas! I was wondering if you’d be willing to share the name of the font you used to create the banner behind the food table. It’s really fun! Thanks so much!

Hi Rebecca,

Just wanted to say thanks for inspiring me {a fellow blogger} to make my nephew’s ninja party extra special! I have made a blog post about his party and included a link to this post.
    Best to you!
    Flavia Andrews

Hi there! I was wondering if you could share where you got the clipart for the invitation? I’m helping a friend who is planning a party for her son & she loves your invite! Thanks so very much!

Be proud of the love and thought you put into this party! It inspires me for my son’s upcoming Ninja 9 party. And yes, it is in two weeks and I work best under pressure as well! Thank you for posting all these great ideas!

9. Jessica says

I can relate so much to the pre-party and after-party thoughts! With three kids, I have had more than one party where I’ve felt like that. Just know that your kids will definitely love the party no matter what you do, because you were there with them and were celebrating with them! :)

I realize this entry is from like 2+ years ago, but for what it’s worth, I think the party looked great from the pics you’ve shared. You are so crafty & creative!

The sesame noodles look DELICIOUS! Do you have a recipe you can share?

• craftedsparrow says

Jessica, thank you so much for your sweet words. That means a lot. You know what I will post a recipe for those noodles sometime this week, sound good? xoxo

10. Mirey says

Hi rebecca,
    this party looks awesome to me, and im definitely inspired by all ur creations while planning for my son who wants a ninja party for his 5ht birthday!
    i was wondering how you made the happy birthday banner, how did u cut it, i did find the font on dafont, but i was wondering about how u cut it. thanks

• craftedsparrow says

Hi Mirey. Thank you so much for the sweet comment. I actually just cut the banner by hand, cutting around the details leaving a small white border as I cut. Hope that helps. Have so much fun with the party! :)