I’ve seen wishbones everywhere lately, in fact I love this one HERE from Anthropologie. Although a knick knack with a $58 price point is not in my budget, unless it was guaranteed to bring me 3 magic wishes. I love the design so much I thought how fun it would be to create a necklace, so I made this Gold Wishbone Necklace.
For the Gold Wishbone Necklace you will need the following supplies:
– Polymer Clay
– Gold Jewelry Chain
– Gold Jump Rings, 3 (4 or 5mm) & 1 (5 or 7mm, depends on how big your wishbone is)
– Gold Spray Paint
1. Roll your clay in to a ball, place on either a smooth mat or parchment paper.
2. Now roll your clay in to a long snake like shape.
3. Bend your clay like shown above.
4. Gently pinch the top arch together to create the top of the wishbone. Smooth edges as you go.
5. Trim your ends to match up.
6. Roll your ends up like shown above.
7. Gently pinch the ends and smooth. At this point smooth the wishbone all over, smoothing out any creases or blemishes. You will not be able to avoid fingerprints necessarily, but you can do your best to smooth them out with your fingers. Just be gentle. Use a toothpick to create a hole in the top of the wishbone for your necklace.
At this point transfer your clay to a clean dollar store cookie tray that has never been used for baking (can never be used for baking after this either, only for clay) or parchment paper. Place in a pre-heated 275* oven for 20-30 minutes, but be sure to follow package instructions. Remove, and let cool.
Once cooled spray paint with your gold paint, or if you have a brush on version you prefer use that. If your in a pinch and have gold nail polish you can also use that.
Once the wishbone is dry and ready place your large jump ring in the wishbone, then add a smaller jump ring. Then add the clasp with another jump ring to one end of your chain, and a plain jump ring on the other end of the chain after you add your wishbone charm.
I love how it turned out, it’s not perfect or completely smooth – but I think that lends to the handcrafted look. The larger you make the wishbone charm the more pliable it will be, so I suggest keeping your wishbone charms less than 2″ in size. This is a great statement piece of jewelry if you’re looking for something a little larger, but still delicate in design.
Don’t forget to go check out my sweet friends and all their amazing ideas!