Spring Inspired Striped Jars

Disclosure | I am a member of the core blogger program with DecoArt.  I received compensation and product for this post.  All ideas and opinions are 100% my own.

Spring Striped Mason Jars

Last year I shared this black & white Striped Ball Jar, it’s been such a huge hit.  I get so many compliments about it and it’s one of my favorite little accessories in my office.  I thought it would be fun to make some more and today I’m sharing the Spring Inspired Striped Jars I made.  As soon as I finished making these jars I was so excited and giddy to share them with you guys.  They are so bright and cheerful!

Supplies:

–  mason jars

–  painters tape

–  Americana Decor Chalky Finish paints { I used Everlasting, Delicate, Refreshing, Smitten }

–  Americana Decor Creme Wax { you can also use any sealer }

–  foam brushes

– sandpaper

Spring Striped Mason JarsBegin by painting your mason jars white with your chalky finish paint.  You will need to let each coat dry completely before applying the next, don’t worry they dry pretty quick.  I painted four coats of paint on each jar just to be sure it was nice and opaque.

Spring Striped Mason JarsNext create stripes with your painters tape.  Be sure to press the edges well so the paint gets nice clean lines.

Paint two coats of your color choice on each jar and let dry.  Using your sandpaper carefully and gently distress your jar on raised areas of the jar and a few other spots on the jar.

Once dry give your mason jar a quick coat of creme wax with a foam brush.  Once dry use a soft lint-free cloth to buff each jar so it gets it’s satin finish brought out.  You can also choose to use a regular satin brush on sealer, Americana has a great one available in most crafts stores.

Spring Striped Mason JarsThat’s it, pretty easy and really fun.  Aren’t these so cute?  They remind me of all things spring and summer.  These jars make perfect vases for fresh flowers, organization for you craft room/office, and they would be super cute to give as a gift to a friend.  Use a jar with the original lid and place a small gift inside, add a cute tag and some jute twine.  Any friend would love to get this.

Spring Striped Mason Jars

Spring Striped Mason Jars

Spring Striped Mason Jars

Spring Striped Mason Jars

Spring Striped Mason JarsDon’t forget that you can find the Americana Decor Chalky Finish paints and products online from The Home Depot.  And check out these other Chalky Finish projects I’ve made.

Twine Holder

Twine Holder

Apothecary Chest Redo 2-2

Apothecary Chest Redo

DIY Herringbone Painted Wall Hooks - 1

DIY Herringbone Painted Wall Hooks

Comments

1. rachael says

did you have any problems with the white paint sticking to the tape when you were removing it…can you give us any tips to avoid that???

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this project! Too bad my closest home depot only had a VERY small amount of paint. Ordered more online.
    Thanks for sharing!

• craftedsparrow says

Hi Rachael. No problem with the paint sticking to the tape. It actually comes off nice and clean. Painters tape should usually come off clean, there is painters tape that is for delicate surfaces. So if your running in to that problem a lot I suggest trying that. Hope that helps, and glad you got to try the paint! I’d love to hear what you think. :)

Nicely done and displayed. You’re an inspiration to us all. The freshness this gives in just displaying some cheery color into your room brings out the cheerfulness of spring.

• craftedsparrow says

Katie – Thank you so much. Yes some stores have limited quantities of the paint line. It is not available in all stores yet. It’s definitely available online at homedepot.com. It’s worthing checking your local store for first, then if they don’t have it you can order some. :)

These are adorable! I’ve painted mason jars too but never thought of the stripes! So cabana-like!! Thanks for the tip about the paint…I had NO idea HD now sells chalk paint…I just did a little happy dance :) Seriously, I recently posted about chalk paint and companies that sell it…I’ll have to update that post! How do you find it compares to Annie Sloan (if you’ve tried? or others?) The price is awesome!!!

• craftedsparrow says

Hi Cindy. Yes Home Depot carries it, they will even ship it to your local store for free and you can pick it up in store. I haven’t ever used another brand of chalky finish paint so I have nothing to compare it to, but I love it. I know a few of the other bloggers who use it seem to really love it too. :) And yes the price is awesome!

It’s beautiful Rebecca! It looks like something that EVEN I could do. I am SO not crafty. But boy can I use it for something to organize….lol. I pinned them too. Thanks Rebecca, brought some sweet sunshine to my day!

• craftedsparrow says

Thank you Tina! They are super easy to make, you will love it! And they look so super cute organizing stuff! Have a super week!

• craftedsparrow says

Thank you Tammy! You can also order these paints online at homedepot.com and have them shipped for free to your local store. Also, some Michaels stores are now carrying the line. :) Have a super week.

Love, Love, Love these! I need to get my hands on some of this chalky finish paint, I have been seeing it everywhere! Thanks for sharing!

• craftedsparrow says

Thanks Tara! You can now find the paint in some Michaels stores, go check. You can also order it online from Home Depot and have it shipped to the store for free. :) Have a super week.

• Gwen says

Do you think these painted mason jars would be ok for homemade poured candles? Do you think the heat of the candle would affect the paint or the creme wax used to finish it? Thanks! I really love your idea!!

• craftedsparrow says

Hi Gwen, that’s a great question. Honestly I’m not sure how to answer it though. It’s definitely worth trying, but just watch it carefully if you do since I’m not sure. :)

6. Jackie olson says

What width painters tape did you use? Also are these pint jars or quart jars? These are so adorable. I bought 8 colors at michaels but I think the tape I bought is too thin.

• craftedsparrow says

Jackie, I used 1″ painters tape. The standard size. I also used pint jars. :) But quart jars will work too if you need something larger! Have fun, you will love them!

• Jackie says

Thanks. I went back to michaels and bought the red and green. Painted my red one already and it turned out so cute for Christmas. I’m in love and obsessed with them. Can’t wait to make more!

• craftedsparrow says

Oh that’s awesome Jackie! You will become obsessed, they make such cute gifts too…everyone love’s them! Merry Christmas!

• Jackie says

I do need some advice though. I’m having a hard time with the sanding. It seems to smear the red paint and just makes it looked scratched. I used an emery board and I also used sandpaper. I can’t seem to get the “worn” look you are getting. And yours look really smooth and I can still see foam brush strokes with 4 coats. Any help you can give is very appreciated. I HAVE TO MASTER THESE AS YOU HAVE. LOL,,,