Loose Change

So previously on Pinterest I’ve seen a few projects people had posted using change like penny’s and nickels to tile their floors, or their countertops.  It’s a really cool look.  Can’t say I could live with it daily, well unless I lived in a really industrial type space like a loft or something then I would say yes to it.  I have a friend who was thinking of doing it and since has decided to go the concrete route.  She still wanted to do copper in her kitchen, so she knew she wanted penny’s somewhere.  My friend and her husband just bought their first house this past October, so I decided to make her a house warming gift.  We had seen someone covering wood letters in penny’s at a crafting event.  She was sold.  So that’s what I made for her.  I covered 3 paper mache letters in penny’s “EAT”.

{thanks Rhi for taking such awesome pics!}

Here’s what I did:
{materials}
- Paper mache letters
- Penny’s
- Weldbond glue or your choice of glue
- Copper acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Clear spray sealer

Start by painting your paper mache letters copper! I did two layers and that was enough to cover the paper mache. After I painted it copper I used a gunmetal silver color with a dry brush technique to give it a bit of a patina.

Then get your glue ready! I think this glue worked pretty well. We’ll see how it holds up over time.  You’ll also want to start picking out your “good” penny’s! I picked mostly shiny, but threw a few duller ones into the mix. That creates character!

Then I layed out the penny’s on each letter ahead of time. That way I new exactly what pattern, and placement they were going to be in. I put most face up, but did some face down too.  Then you just glue until your hearts content. When you’ve got them all glued on and they are all dry (let it sit for at least 24 hrs) you can spray them with a clear satin or glossy spray paint.   I did it to protect the penny’s and the copper paint on the paper mache.
 …………………………………………..
Here are some more awesome loose change remodel projects.
Maybe you’ll be inspired to do something out of the box.
Pinned Image
Penny BackSplash

Pinned Image
Pinned Image
 Pinned Image
Wall of Pennies – No Source

Comments

Super cute idea! I just bought the letters P-L-A-Y for my boys playroom, but hadn’t decided what to do with them yet. I just may do this! I’m your newest follower- I’d love for you to stop by my blog and follow me back if you’d like.
    xo,
    Laurie @ Gallamore West :)

You are a popular gal! I pinned this project last night (about 12 hours ago) and it’s already been repinned 105 times, just from my pin! Who knows how many more have pinned their repins. Wow!! Congrats. What an awesome project. xoxo

I saw that penny countertop a while back and loved it – though not for my kitchen. I love the penny covered letters. So cool! I may give it a try.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Am LOVING your penny “Eat” letters!

Thought you might want to know that I’m featuring you tomorrow for Feature Friday Free-for-All!

Thanks for linking up! : )

Hope you’ll be back to share some more of your awesomeness!

~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

5. Anonymous says

Very cool… I started making this project.. just a quick question.. how did you hang the letters?

Hi. I am starting a new series on my blog called ” Words I wish I wrote”. I will be featuring 3 things each week that I wish I wrote. Im going to feature you. I have been thinking about these pennies for a while now. Please let me know if its not ok, and I will take it down.
    Kristen

7. Anonymous says

Where’s your pinterest icon so I can pin it? I love it! I’m also going to do your mirror too but in green. Thanks!!

8. Anonymous says

Love the covered letters. BTW, the plural of penny is pennies, not penny’s. Sorry, I am a writer and that drives me crazy!

I’m a “real” artist and I’m not into crafts per se, but I love this. What else can we do with pennies? I hope it’s okay that I re-pinned your photo on Pinterest. That’s where I found it, but I’m sure you’ll be happy that your blog is getting a lot of hits. If you want me to take your photo off of Pinterest, leave a comment on the bottom of any article at boomerinas.com and I will see it there. That’s my blog and hotmail is messed up, so Boomerinas is the best place to let me know if you want me to delete. Fabulous idea BTW.

I’m currently doing this craft based off your post. I chose to do the word COOK, because Lord knows I dont need any extra encourgement to eat. Thanks for the tip though. So far so good, excited about the outcome! :)

Loved the idea too.
    But I used wood letters.
    And I want to share a helpful idea…
    To clean your pennies, and give them an extra a shine.
    Put in a container one table spoon of salt and add vinegar (just enough to soak the salt) You can use it as a paste and rub the coins or put more vinegar and soak the coins.
    Good luck!

Wow! This is actually a good home design idea for our home especially if we are going to hold up a party or something. I love how your mixed up different kind of materials in here, this is so unique and one of a kind. I love it! Thanks,Chloe H.

I was wondering if you could use something besides the paper mache letters (or is there somewhere you can buy those?)? I know they have cardboard and wooden letters at Hobby Lobby. Would those work?

14. Anonymous says

Perhaps fix your misspelled word? the plural for penny is pennies, not penny’s. I have been a teacher for 20 yrs. and this is a second grade grammar lesson. It would really improve your blog if it was spelled correctly.