So off to several Goodwill stores I went searching for the some basics components of the costumes. The rest I had to make myself.
His pants were from the boys department and a little big on him, but for the price I couldn’t pass them up. So I just hemmed them and he can wear them when he plays outside this winter. The belt was also from Goodwill, I think it is vintage..but it fit the look I wanted perfectly.
I made their vests out of felt and some inexpensive cotton trim from Joanns. To make the vest all I did was lay a tank top down on top of the felt by the yard I had purchased, I cut along the tank top leaving a 1 1/2″ to 2″ seam allowance, and I made it about 4″ longer on the bottom than the tank top. I had two pieces of felt, one of which I cut straight up the middle for the front of the vest. I trimmed the neckline in the shape I wanted and the arm holes. I then just sewed the pieces together and added the trim.
The hat was made from a tutorial I found online, the link will be at the bottom of this post.
His arrow quiver was made from an old pvc tube that was originally for real estate signs, it held the flyer’s. I found it at goodwill for a buck, covered it in brown duct tape from the dollar store and added a strap. The arrows I made using dowel rods, I added small strips of paper that I cut to resemble feathers and hot glued them to the ends of the dowel rods. I stuffed a couple squares of styrofoam in to the tub and then glued the ends of the arrows in to the tube so they couldn’t come out. His bow was made using a large stick they boys had found at the river several weeks before. I whittled it, sanded it and then soaked it so it would bend a little…tied some twine to it and it was a bow.
I also made their boot covers out of felt.